ESV: Daily Reading Bible

Wednesday, August 13, 2008

Just a Passin Through

Psalm 39:4 “O Lord, make me know my endand what is the measure of my days;let me know how fleeting I am!5 Behold, you have made my days a few handbreadths,and my lifetime is as nothing before you.Surely all mankind stands as a mere breath! Selah6 Surely a man goes about as a shadow!Surely for nothing [4] they are in turmoil;man heaps up wealth and does not know who will gather! 7 “And now, O Lord, for what do I wait?My hope is in you.8 Deliver me from all my transgressions. ... 11 When you discipline a manwith rebukes for sin,you consume like a moth what is dear to him;surely all mankind is a mere breath! Selah 12 “Hear my prayer, O Lord,and give ear to my cry;hold not your peace at my tears!For I am a sojourner with you,a guest, like all my fathers.
***
When we were kids we used to sing a hymn, "The world is not my home, I'm just a passin through. My treasures are laid up, somewhere beyond the blue." I think of that hymn as a read this psalm and I meditate with a certain sense of awe today because my fourth child was just born a few hours ago. My son, a mortal creation like myself, has started the adventure of this short life. For a few years we will suffer together under the various afflictions of our current human condition, and then, eventually, we may both enjoy eternal love and fellowship beyond this world. This side of life is short but feels long sometimes - the other side, in God's Kingdom, is forever-long and I'm sure it flies by like to grandest of days.

Tday was a grand day and it certainly did fly by. I am so thankful for today and I see the nature of God shining through today. I love Him.

No comments:

Dig Deeper

Lookup a word or passage in the Bible



BibleGateway.com
Include this form on your page