ESV: Daily Reading Bible

Thursday, July 17, 2008

Childlikeness and Childishness

Matthew 19:13 Then children were brought to him that he might lay his hands on them and pray. The disciples rebuked the people, 14 but Jesus said, “Let the little children come to me and do not hinder them, for to such belongs the kingdom of heaven.” 15 And he laid his hands on them and went away.
***
Luke 7:31 “To what then shall I compare the people of this generation, and what are they like? 32 They are like children sitting in the marketplace and calling to one another,
“‘We played the flute for you, and you did not dance;we sang a dirge, and you did not weep.’
***
1 Corinthians 13:11 When I was a child, I spoke like a child, I thought like a child, I reasoned like a child. When I became a man, I gave up childish ways. 12 For now we see in a mirror dimly, but then face to face. Now I know in part; then I shall know fully, even as I have been fully known.
***
I had a college English Professor once who make a point I will never forget. He taught us that there is a big difference between child-likeness and childishness. The different senses are captured in the above mentioned verses. Jesus says that we must become like children, having faith like them and drawing close to Jesus in the same way, intuitively, humbly, trusting in His love. But we all know that children can be rascals. Jesus described his generation as a bunch of big babies, trying to manipulate him to do things that they wanted. He said, in effect, that they were being childish. Paul addresses the child-adult paradigm by explaining that he has given up "childish ways" but he still admits that life is pretty mysterious, as if looking into a dim mirror. In effect, he is humbling himself so that he rests on child-like faith.

No comments:

Dig Deeper

Lookup a word or passage in the Bible



BibleGateway.com
Include this form on your page